Wednesday, September 23, 2015

week 41

Here is the story for the week!

A month or so ago, we were hearing talk about a typhoon coming. People here go nuts when a typhoon is coming! It could be sunny, but if people hear on the news that there is a typhoon coming, they think you are crazy for coming to their door trying to tell them about the gospel at such a perilous time as this!
So, that typhoon came but... the wind was comparable to the amount of wind that an 88 year old man creates when he is trying to cool down his soup... So much for a typhoon!

But, this is when the story gets interesting. People were crying "Typhoon typhoon!" again but, given my recent experience, I didn't believe them that it was going to be bad... So here I am, minding my own business, sawing logs at 3 in the morning when things started to get crazy. The wind was blowing like crazy, it was raining sideways, and our apartment was making all kinds of scary noises; I was thinking maybe it was the beginnings of the sequel to "Monster House." Our screen doors on the outside of the sliding doors don't lock so they were sliding back and forth making some crazy loud noises, our windows were flexing in and out because of the wind blowing so hard and yes... we didn't sleep too much that night.

We woke up the next morning, or rather, heard the alarm go off at 6:30 and received a call shortly after that the mission was on lockdown and we weren't allowed to go out of the apartment until 6pm that evening, or unless otherwise directed. The worst of it was over but it took a decent toll on Yatsushiro. Big trees were uprooted, debree was everywhere, shingles were off of houses, big signs had been blown over, washing machines were down the street. I think you get the idea.

But, we are still alive and things are basically back to normal now. It was a cool experience, and I hope you enjoyed the story. Love you all lots. Peace.
Brower Chourou

No, I wasn't scared... It was just annoying more than anything. Our
apartment is pretty nice and I trusted that it wouldn't blow away in
the wind. If I was living in an old Japanese house during the typhoon,
I probably would have been worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment